Thursday 29 January 2009

Where does the tile fly?

Blambot is an excellent source of fonts. I'm trying some out for the various dialogue, thinking the creature might use a scary font, etc. BGHQ is good for downloading old megaman screens and examining them for artistic gambits. I suck at art, so that helps.

Reiner's Tilesets is a source I mean to investigate more thoroughly, because it looks full of interesting stuff, but it appears to have only isometric tiles and so on. Oh well.

I've made some decisions about the structure of the game. I have four Crew for now, and they're going to react to eachother in different ways because of their personalities. The design problem is that, in a game as open as this where every decision is open to you, I want to push the player so they aren't just totally unmotivated. So the decision I've made is that they're set in stone; you can replay the game... 24 times, say, for the major differences. This is a game where I plan to get the graphical stuff over and done with first, or last, and spend a lot of my time scripting (skippable) cutscenes.

I call them cutscenes, but the player will be able to interrupt them. If this is done before, for example, certain beans are spilled, it will change the outcome of events slightly. I want to try and break open conversation for dynamic scripting, the same way numbers have been broken open. Welding together sentences could get messy, but I could queue up paragraphs, etc. It's going to be hard to do it, but someone's got to. We do it in our heads every day, predicting what people will say, how they act. The algorithm is there already.

The ship is an unusual layout; I thought of this big reactor powering the drives and having the crew quarters sealed at the front for insulation. The reactor and the engineering part would be really cold. Have a look at this concept art:

UESS Celestia

The source image is layered with all the maps and so on, but it's only really that nub at the front and back you'll be playing in. The big orb is the reactor. I was thinking about an enormous cargo hold stretching down from the front section like a pistol clip, but that might screw with the plausibility of the game (any of those crates could be full of something the monster could eat, growing to full size and terror within a day).

No comments:

Post a Comment