Wednesday 24 June 2009

Okay, Scratch That

So the point of indie development is to develop little games quickly, right? I mean, not always, not really - look at Darwinia, for example. But it's one of the perks, you know? To work on a game for as little as an hour and then release it. Wow! Imagine doing that 8 times a day, 5 days a week? You'd be like increpare or some shit!


Anyway. I'm scrapping The Crossing for now. A couple reasons:

1) It's way over my head - I don't even know how to do some of this shit. I'll try actually making a proper game before I re-define the entire industry, maybe.

2) There's already a game or two called that.

3) I'm not enthused about it anymore.

So.... I'll probably wait to unveil things as I work on them. I intend to keep this blog as an open devblog that hides nothing - this means I'll make no promises, neither. Valve learned that one the hard way, I think. Poor Valve.

Where to go next? I'll probably stick to Game Maker 7 and attempt some Klik & Plays, some Ludum Dare things, and mess around with Valve's SDK, squeezing all that into my other life as a busy games journalist. I have a couple of good ideas, but just playing some indie games and remarking at how simple a great game can be, maybe I don't need to procedurally generate everything. Even though I really want to, BTN.

No comments:

Post a Comment